Monday, September 21, 2009

Redneck, Texas USA

Well, we really don't live in Redneck, TX, but any out-of-towner may have thought so this past Saturday night. My husband lives for the annual Demolition Derby where he spends endless hours for months on end fixing up an old hunk of junk into what you see to the left. For those of you who have never been...this is where perfectly grown men take these old cars (all decorated of course) and crash them into each other in a small arena full of testosterone until the last car moving/running wins. Sadly, they have a round for just women too. Nope, sorry, not for me!

This annual event seems to bring out all types of people, half of which don't have teeth. While it is fun to watch these grown men crash into each other "just for fun", I also completely enjoy drinking beer with my friends and doing a little people watching. It's always good for a night full of laughs. Certainly not the type of crowd you would find any other time of the year, anywhere else for that matter. But the kids love it, so count me in.


I am proud to say that Tommy won 2nd place in the final event. This is the 7th year he has participated and last year was the first time he placed (3rd). So if you see the patten developing here you can guess that he has his eye on 1st place next year. Of course, I am not complaining about the $600 prize money that he quickly handed over to me. And first place is a much bigger prize!!

1 comment:

  1. Good for him. We used to go to the derbies (they had two) every fair week where we used to live. Haven't been in about 3 years, but it was so much fun!!! I ought to take the boys next year.

    ReplyDelete